© 2015 - Town of Payson - All Rights Reserved

  • w-facebook
  • Twitter Clean
  • w-googleplus

Trever Fleetham, AICP   

Economic Development & Planning Manager


303 N. Beeline Highway       

Payson, AZ 85541

Office: (928) 472-5046

Cell: (928) 978-9584

Our mission is to maximize the region's economic prosperity and position the Greater Payson Area as a state leader in education, workforce, and light industry.

Licenses + Requirements

What Does Payson Have to offer you?

Confused about what licenses and permits you need to open your business? Then you’ve come to the right place! To make sure that all your paperwork is in order, you will want to check with federal, state and local agencies for their individual requirements. The information below should get you started on the right path.

Minimum Requirements:
At a minimum, you are likely to need the following licenses to open your business:

1. Federal Requirements

A federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) is required by most businesses. It’s free. You can register for an EIN with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Visit the IRS EIN registration page.

2. State of Arizona requirements

Your business activity may be subject to Regulatory Transaction Privilege Tax (TPT) (for professional/special activities), and/or business/occupational licensing. First you should find the agency that may require licensing, certification, or permits for business activity conducted in Arizona. If you are not sure which agency is correct for you, you may wish to search the Guide to Taxes for Arizona Businesses. Most of the links will take you directly to the applicable agency's home page. Information on licensing and other information on business activity requirements may be found on the agency web sites under such terms as : Licensing, Permits, Certifications, Applications and/or Forms. (i.e., if you are opening a new assisted living home and center you would go to the Department of Health Services, and obtain an Assisted Living Licensure. This would require both an application for construction or modification; and an application for licensure.)

3. Town of Payson Requirements

Building a Better Community Today for Tomorrow

The Community Development Department consists of four divisions. The Building Division has the responsibility for providing services to the building community. The Planning & Zoning Division has the responsibility of providing land use and development services. The Economic Development Division provides assistance to businesses getting started, expanding, or relocating to Payson. The Housing Division has the responsibility for our housing rehab and affordable/workforce housing programs. Town Business Licenses & Dog Licenses are also handled by this department.